So you’re facing an impending storm with a likely foot and a half of snow. Some sources claim there will be a half inch per hour falling from 4am. The grocery store shelves, already hurt by… reasons, have been further raided by panicky people who apparently have no clue how to stock their pantries and freezers for emergencies, and have little or no means to care for themselves. Fast Eddie is making sure the grill has enough propane. The young kids are excited because snow is snow; the teens are angsty because why couldn’t it snow on a school day? You may fondly recall drinking games where the number of driveway beers is relative to the severity predicted by the NWS and then further actualized in our yards. (Maybe that’s just weather nerds) And what does this approaching Snowmageddon mean for the BRC? Does it mean we get the day off nor a snow day? Why, we note that it happens on a Saturday and we go run. (By “we” I mean “you”) As usual in possibly dangerous conditions, you always have options. The Executive Route ™ is short and keeps you off of high-traffic roads, but may be more snowy than some of the main roads. If you feel unsafe, run a lap around the Common, go home and have an Irish coffee.
BRC Executive Run (4 Miles): http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/952551117/
I heard Pete got into the Berlin Marathon. Who else is making that trip?
Be Safe in the Snow
You’re grownups. Use some judgement and be safe when running in dangerous conditions. Choose a different route if the one above seems impassable. What are some of the ways to protect yourself? Mark Remy has some serious, yet funny, comments about it in The Dumb Runner’s Guide to Running in the Snow.
· 29 Jan 2022 – TARCtic Frozen Yeti
o I assume with TARC, this is on, even in the storm?
· 30 Jan 2022 – GDTC Boston Prep 16-miler
· 11&12 Feb 2022 – Frigus Snowshoe Festival
· 13 Mar 2022 – Malden ½ Marathon
· 27 Mar 2022 – Eastern States 20-miler
· 2 Apr 2022 – Runamuck 50k
· 10 April 2022 – Cheap Marathon
· 7 May 2022 – Manchester 2 Monadnock
· 21 May 2022 – Keys 100 relay
· 23 May 2022 – The Harpoon 5-Miler
· 4 Jun 2022 – Chocura 25k
· 21 through 24 Jul 2022 – PT281+ Ultramarathon
· 2 Aug – Yankee Homecoming
· 16-17 Sep – Reach the Beach
· 25 sep 2022 – Berlin Marathon
o Go Pete! (Who else got in?)
· 8-9 Oct 2022 – Midstate Massive Ultra Trail Marathon
I really miss snow. And cold. I see the third-world workers here all bundled up in coats and stocking caps while it is 60 degrees outside. It is not what I expected the desert to be like.